Institute for Systems Biology
Director, Accounting and Control (Controller)
The Institute for Systems Biology (ISB) is an internationally renowned non-profit research institute dedicated to the study and application of systems biology. ISB’s goal is to unravel the mysteries of human biology to identify strategies for predicting and preventing diseases such as cancer, arthritis and AIDS.
The Director will be the principal architect in building the finance department and positioning it as a service to the organization. The Director serves as the Institute’s chief accounting officer responsible for managing the Institute’s systems of internal control and financial reporting to support informed decisions. The ideal candidate will possess a combination of education and experience that demonstrably have produced the knowledge and abilities required to lead the Institute’s mission critical information systems department.
The Director’s responsibilities include:
- Take a leadership role contributing to the creation and maintenance of a positive, productive, enjoyable work climate and a strong service culture characterized by freedom to innovate, a sense of urgency and responsibility, clear commitment to the Institute’s mission, and achievement of outstanding performance.
- Design, develop, implement, enforce (educate and ensure compliance with) clear, concise and relevant accounting and financial control policies and procedures to ensure that only and all legitimate transactions are timely and accurately recorded in the Institute’s books of account.
- Produce functional, accurate, complete and timely historical financial statements, including Statement of Financial Position (Balance Sheet) and Statements of Operations (Income Statement) and Cash Flow including a draft of management’s discussion and analysis of operations and liquidity each month.
- Develop and implement systems to enable timely, reasonable estimates of future financial performance (presented in pro-forma financial statements – e.g. budgets, earnings, indirect costs, and cash flow forecasts) necessary to support sound operating and financial decisions.
- Draft and negotiate the Institute’s indirect cost rate agreement and devise strategies to optimize grant funding streams.
- Oversee tax planning and implement adequate procedures to ensure compliance with all federal, state, and local corporate, payroll, and other applicable taxes.
- Ensure timely and accurate processing and payment of payroll, accounts payable and other liabilities.
Practical, seasoned working knowledge and understanding of generally accepted accounting principles as they relate to non-profit research organizations. Fundamental understanding and demonstrated experience implementing and working with the principles of internal controls. Ability to translate the language of accounting to non-accountants.
Ability to work effectively as a group member and to build cooperative effort within the team. Proficient in building/managing interpersonal relationships and networks: able to focus on substance over form and to find common ground and build rapport. Candidate should demonstrate reliability and responsibility combined with a strong desire to produce outstanding results. Empathetic; able to read, understand and react objectively, positively and constructively to people and judge wisely. Evident sensitivity in dealing with multi-ethnic/cultural employee population.
Minimum of a BA with 5 years of pertinent experience.
Please visit our website’s Careers page to obtain an employment application and affirmative action form: www.systemsbiology.org. To apply, please email your resume, cover letter, completed employment application and affirmative action form to HR@systemsbiology.org (preferred method) or mail to:
Institute for Systems Biology
Reference Job Code: 03-082
ATTN: HR Administrator – Job 03-082
1441 N 34th Street
Institute for Systems Biology is an Equal Opportunity Employer